Coastalwatch Surf Cam Help & Troubleshooting
Hi there - this page will help you troubleshoot issues streaming Coastalwatch Surf Cams.
There are a few common issues that we see very often, so first, please check these 4 common issues:
1. Do you have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player installed?
Click the link below to find out if Adobe Flash is not up to date on your machine - if it's not install the latest version now. It's free and only takes a few minutes – all our surf cameras run on Flash for desktop and laptop computers. http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
- In the address bar, type chrome://settings/content.
- Click Show advanced settings...
- Under Privacy click Content settings…
- Under Flash check Allow sites to run flash
- Click Done
If Firefox users are still having issues after installing flash they may have to adjust the Shockwave Flash add-on - https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/enabling-flash-player-firefox.html
Mac & Windows
- Choose Firefox > Tools > Add-ons
- Select Plugins
- In the list of Add-ons, look for Shockwave Flash (another name for Flash Player) and check the status that appears to the right of the plug-in name
- Select Always Activate
2. Have you tried viewing the cameras on alternate browsers?
There are hundreds of internet browsers, but common ones are listed below, you should try alternate ones:
- Chrome (recommended)
- Internet Explorer
3. Have you disabled your Hardware Acceleration?
Some computers (mostly Apple Macs) require you to disable Hardware Acceleration to allow live streaming through Flash. Follow the 6-step process below for Apple Macs.
How to disable Hardware Acceleration
You may have Flash installed correctly, you may see a black box instead of the camera vision. To solve this you need to disable Hardware Acceleration in Flash. This is most common with older Apple Mac desktop and laptops computers.
- Go to a Camera page on our website.
- Right click (or Control+click) on the Cam player area. This will bring up a menu.
- Click Settings in the menu.
- Click on the display icon at the bottom (shown as #1 in the image above) if it isn't already selected.
- Unselect the Hardware Acceleration checkbox (shown as #2 in the image above)
- Click close, then refresh the page.
4. Could anything be blocking adobe flash player?
Please check your browsers security settings and ensure that nothing is blocking Adobe Flash Player.
Android Phones & Tablets
We recommend using our SurfStitch Surf Check App for Android: Download our app here
Coastalwatch PLUS members: The Plus website supports live ad-free streaming of all surf cams on most Android mobile and tablet devices through an internet browser or by logging into the Hurley Surf Coastalwatch App.
NEW: Coastalwatch.com supports streaming of surf cams through Android Devices. For an Ad-Free service on mobile devices you must have a Coastalwatch Plus subscription.
**Note: Due to the open nature of the Android operating system we cannot guarantee all smart phones & tablets using the supported software will successfully stream our surfcams. For further help in troubleshooting please contact our Customer support team. email@example.com
Apple iPhones, iPods & iPads
We recommend using our app SurfStitch Surf Check App for iPhone & iPads: Download our App here
Coastalwatch PLUS members: The Plus website supports live ad-free streaming of all surf cams on iPhone, iPad & iPod through an internet browser or by logging into the Hurley Surf Coastalwatch App.
NEW: Coastalwatch.com supports streaming of surf cams through Apple devices. For an Ad-Free service on mobile devices you must have a Coastalwatch Plus subscription..
Windows 8 Phones
We recommend using our Coastalwatch App for Windows 8 Phones: Download our App here
Coastalwatch PLUS members: The Plus website supports live ad-free streaming of all surf cams on Windows 8 Phones by logging into the Coastalwatch Windows 8 App.
NEW: Coastalwatch.com supports streaming of surf cams through Windows 8 devices. For an Ad-Free service on mobile devices you must have a Coastalwatch Plus subscription.
Still having trouble?
If you are still having problems, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include the following information in your email so we can start looking into your problem:
- Name and Model of Computer, Device or Hardware.
- Operating system: (eg: Windows XP sp2, Mac Osx Lion, Mac iOS 5)
- Internet Browser: (eg: Firefox 14, Internet Explorer 7)
- Internet connection type and speed: dial up / broadband
- Flash player version
- Do you have a Firewall or security software: yes / no if yes what firewall software?
- Surf Camera you are having problems with.
- Screen grab of the issue if possible.
- Any other information you find important.
Today's edition of life as a pro surfer
How Matt Wilkinson won the contest and returned to World Number One a Week before he got to Fiji
Bella & Angela Are Ready For The Biggest Waves On Offer
The updated forecast
The updated forecast
The Dooley Podcast
Southern slab surfing
The best in the country
Migration season travelling
Saturday on the Surf Coast
This Week In Surfing: The Gordon Merchant Interview, Check Out This Weird New Flip, & Owen n Wilko's Maldivian Getaway Sessions
Ten Things From Surfing & The Internet On The Week That Was June 23, 2017
Would pay to be on this wave
Bella Wilson Goes Big, Photo by @KingKlips