Coastalwatch Surf Cam Help & Troubleshooting
Having problems streaming our surf cams?
Firstly check these 3 common issues:
1. Do you have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player installed?
If not, follow the link below to install – all our cameras run on Flash for desktops and laptop computers and browsers.
2. Have you tried viewing the cameras on alternate browsers?
3. Have you disabled your Hardware Acceleration?
Some computers (mostly Apple Macs) require you to disable Hardware Acceleration to allow live streaming through Flash. Follow the 6-step process below for Apple Macs.
How to disable Hardware Acceleration
You may have Flash installed correctly, you may see a black box instead of the camera vision. To solve this you need to disable Hardware Acceleration in Flash. This is most common with older Apple Mac desktop and laptops computers.
- Go to a Camera page on our website.
- Right click (or Control+click) on the Cam player area. This will bring up a menu.
- Click Settings in the menu.
- Click on the display icon at the bottom (far left, #1 in the diagram) if it isn't already selected.
- Unselect the Hardware Acceleration checkbox (#2 in the diagram)
- Click close, then refresh the page.
Android Phones & Tablets
Coastalwatch.com & Coastalwatch PLUS Surf cams support the following Android operating systems:
4.0… Ice Cream Sandwich
(4.1… Jelly Bean is not currently supported)
**Note: Due to the open nature of the Android operating system we cannot guarantee all smart phones & tablets using the supported software will successfully stream our surfcams. For further help in troubleshooting please contact our Customer support team. firstname.lastname@example.org
Apple iPhones, iPods & iPads
We recommend using our app Hurley Surf: Download our App here
*Coastalwatch PLUS members: The Plus website does support streaming of all surf cams on any Apple mobile device through an internet browser. Try Coastalwatch Plus for free.
Silverlight Media Player
Silverlight is a Windows based media player. We are phasing this media player out of use on all Coastalwatch services, although there may be the odd camera still running on this player. If you don't have Silverlight plug-in installed on your machine yet, the website will automatically prompt you to download the software, so all you need to do is follow the steps to download and install the plug-in from Microsoft website. The cameras will then work on the next load of the website.
Still having trouble?
If you are still having problems, please send us an email at email@example.com.
Include the following information in your email so we can start looking into your problem:
- Name and Model of Computer, Device or Hardware.
- Operating system: (eg: Windows XP sp2, Mac Osx Lion, Mac iOS 5)
- Internet Browser: (eg: Firefox 14, Internet Explorer 7)
- Internet connection type and speed: dial up / broadband
- Flash player version
- Do you have a Firewall or security software: yes / no if yes what firewall software?
- Surf Camera you are having problems with.
- Screen grab of the issue if possible.
- Any other information you find important.
The Anzac long weekend is upon us. Check out the forecast.
Gallery: A four day weekend and it was pumping pretty much everywhere.
Sean Doherty reports from an epic Finals Day at Bells and Winkipop.
Cremorne - 1st May, 2014. Don't miss out!
Cremorne - 1st May, 2014. Don't miss out!
Awesome shots from the South Coast score April's MOTM.
Submission time is over and the final eight entries for the Life's a Beach Photo Competition have been decided and placed in a gallery for your perusal!
Get ready for the winter swell season with a brand new board from one of Australia’s most iconic shapers - Simon Anderson.
The film featuring world champion surfers Mick Fanning, Stephanie Gilmore, Tom Curren, Kelly Slater, Beau Young and many more.
Standout Sessions: The long weekend delivers!
Wave of the Week: Bierkey navigates big ol' ocean with his South Coast cool.
Mark Mathews has built his career on predicting swells. This knowledge is crucial when it comes to deciding when to run Red Bull Cape Fear. As we enter the waiting period, the pressure mounts on Mark to get the decision right.
Dreamy escapism from North Malè to the Central Atolls and down to the Southern Atolls.
Easter is here and so is the swell. Check out the long weekend forecast.