Kirra SurfStock Festival ready to Rock
Currumbin, Gold Coast, Queensland 28th September 2009
The Kirra SurfStock Festival to be held from Currumbin to Kirra on November 5 – 8th 2009 is locked in and set to rock. The Inaugural Lifestyle Festival spanning over 3 days and 4 nights will include surfing events, free outdoor live music, surf movies, a public beach walk and ocean paddle race, Miss SurfStock Quest, charity fundraisers, beach markets and a diverse variety of festivities have been approved by Gold City Council and confirmed by the many sponsors including major presenter Connecting Southern Gold Coast in association with Kirra Surf, the Kirra business group, Gold Coast City Council and many community donors.
Connecting Southern Gold Coast (CSGC) is established to develop the economic prospects for the Southern Gold Coast, namely tourism and attracting and developing new businesses, events and festivals.
Jim Wilson, General Manager of CSGC (Connecting Southern Gold Coast) said, “CGSC has been working with Kirra SurfStock for many months now in assisting the KSS Inc group headed by Andrew McKinnon to develop the Festival which has the potential to bring many tourists to the iconic Kirra surrounds and southern Gold Coast. We are also attracted to the Festival because its scope includes the Currumbin and Coolangatta regions for example there will be the grand opening of the SurfWorld Gold Coast Surf Museum and outdoor surf movies at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary plus the Denis Callinan Beach walk from Currumbin to Kirra also including the Greenline Ocean Paddle race. It will connect Currumbin to Kirra which is all part of our brief to connect, promote and assist the southern end.”
The iconic Kirra Surf retail store has also weighed in as an associate sponsor supporting the positive aspects according to GSM Retail Operations Manager Paul Jackson, “I feel the southern end Gold Coast not only has some of the regions most beautiful beaches but also some of the most respected beaches in terms of their wave quality and their appeal to surfers globally. So it makes sense for Kirra Surf and other business in the region to support any initiatives that raise awareness of the need to protect our coastal environment.” The Kirra Surf retail store will help to launch Bob McTavish’s much anticipated book on Friday 6th of November at 4pm where Bob will be signing limited copies of hard covers and one of Kirra Surf’s highly acclaimed surfers and now professional musician Matthew Pitts will launch his CD “Ride” on Saturday night 7th November at 6.30pm at Café Le Monde, Kirra Surf.
The one and only surfing event for Kirra SurfStock will be the JR Kirra Junior Teams challenge with 6 men junior teams competing for their Clubs from Noosa to Ballina as a one day event on Saturday 7th November starting at 8am. The inaugural junior surfing teams competition hosted by the Kirra Surfriders Club is sponsored by Gold Coast surf manufacturer JR and they are thrilled with the prospects. “Having been proud sponsors of the annual JR Open over the last three years, we are now looking forward to nurturing the juniors as part of our marketing strategy. Joining the JR Kirra SurfStock as the Junior Teams sponsor is a great opportunity for us to develop even more relationships within the sport especially at the southern end”, said Business Development manager of JR surfboards Toni-anne Rodd.
The Kirra SurfStock Festival is just not an exclusive Kirra event with the involvement of Currumbin linking into Kirra. On Saturday at 5.30pm Sandra L Rogers launches her book “Waves of Torment” at the Bilinga Surf Club. The Currumbin Connection kicks in with the Grand Opening of the SurfWorld Surf Museum titled “Grand Night at the Museum” situated in the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary precinct. Tim Bonython will screen his Jim Beam Australian Surfing Movie Festival outdoors in the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary at 8pm on Saturday 7th November, families are asked to bring their chairs and blankets to watch the epic surf movies under the stars. The following morning starting bright and early from Currumbin Surf Club is the “All roads lead to Kirra” 7km beach walk from the south side of Elephant Rock Currumbin to Kirra starting at 7am on Sunday 8th November and is dedicated to the late Surfing Solicitor Denis Callinan. This is open to the public and will be done at a leisurely pace with water stations manned at various Surf Clubs along the way e.g. Tugun, Bilinga, North Kirra. In tandem with the community beach walk will be the Greenline SUP (Stand Up Paddle) and ocean paddle race taking off on Sunday morning 8th November at 7am south of Elephant Rock, Currumbin. The walk from Currumbin to Kirra normally takes about 1hr 30 minutes although the SUP race will be faster.
Scott Penwarn Manager of Greenline Paddle surf will sponsor the Currumbin to Kirra SUP & ocean race and encourages the community to get behind the Kirra SurfStock Festival saying, “Greenline is stoked to be part of the KSS. It is a fantastic way of bringing the whole surfing community together and showing our support for bringing Kirra Back. KSS is also a great way of showcasing the many facets of surfing/paddling and beach culture of the southern Gold Coast to the broader community locally and nationally. The Greenline Paddle Race is designed to be fun paddle for all who want to join in, not just for the top paddlers or racers.”
Sunday is the big day out taking off at Currumbin and settling in at Kirra for the beach markets, beach volley ball, Miss Surfstock Quest and the free Live music from Midday with 9 Bands to play until 6pm.
The Kirra SurfStock Festival follows in the successful wake of the Australia Day 09 Paddle Out, the Bring Back Kirra Campaign has been the catalyst to create a local festival which has the potential of being an annual event.
On Australia Day 09 over 3000 people turned out at Kirra for the Paddle Out, Joel Parkinson won the Quiksilver Pro at Big Groyne in early March and asked everyone to get behind the community’s campaign. Shortly afterwards the Queensland State election was called and both sides of politics offered $1.5 million to return the once famous Point break and as a result of the community’s concern over coastal management of the beach, surf and reef amenity’s and the impact on the local economy.
The Inaugural Kirra SurfStock Festival has a little bit of everything for the public, a coastal club sandwich for our community to celebrate the lifestyle culture and focus on our foreshore future. Kirra SurfStock is a fun filled grass roots gathering bringing the community together, raising awareness and money for charity and ironically placed 40 years after the famous 3 day and night Woodstock Festival.
For full details check www.kirrasurfstock.com.au
THE PROGRAM AS FOLLOWS:
Thursday, 5th November
• Kicking off the SurfStock fun from November 5th at 7pm will be the Opening Party at the Coolangatta Sands with Coopers. Watch epic surf movies from Tim Bonython’s Jim Beam Australian Surf Movie Festival, Live music from Nick Saxton and Burleigh boys from the Tokyo Beef Band and International DJ Spin Easy.
Friday, 6th November:
• The Godfather of Australian surfing and creator of the short board revolution Bob McTavish will launch his book during Kirra SurfStock for a book signing at the Kirra Surf store at 4pm on Friday afternoon and then Bob will head up to the Kirra Surf Club as a special guest at the Friday night Surfrider Foundation Fundraiser and talk more about his book.
• The Friday night affair starting at 6pm promises to be a massive fundraiser at the Kirra Surf Club with Hypnotist Mark Anthony and his tribute to Ronricco plus the Dan Hannaford/Dave Murray Band performing as a charity benefit for the Surfrider Foundation. Founding members of the Australian Surfrider will be acknowledged on the “Night of Legends”. Tickets will be limited to 200 for an exclusive night in the upstairs of the Kirra Surf Club Bar and Restaurant with complimentary drinks, finger food and free entertainment costing $25.00 a ticket. For bookings call Kirra Surf Club (Sheldon) on 55 995086. All proceeds go to Surfrider Foundation co-incidentally hosting their Annual National Conference at Southern Cross University.
Saturday, 7th November:
• Saturday 7th November will be the JR surfboards Kirra Junior teams, a 1 day club competition hosted by the Kirra Boardriders club with 6 men junior squads (must not turn 21 in 2009) with club teams from Noosa to Ballina.
• Bond University will host beach volley ball on the beach.
• At 5.30pm on Saturday afternoon, Sandra L Rodgers will launch her book “Waves of Torment” at the Bilinga Surf Club.
• At 6pm catch former 80’s surf pro now professional musician Matthew Pitts at Café Le Monde, Kirra Surf where he will launch his new CD “Ride.”
• Also on Saturday night Tim Bonython’s Jim Beam ASMF (surf movies) will screen his epic surf vision outdoors from 8pm at the Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary. Families will be invited to bring their chairs and blankets and watch the surfing vision under the stars. While just across the road in the Currumbin Wildlife precinct will be the Grand Opening of the Surf World Surf Museum billed as the “Grand night at the Museum”
• The after Party follows onto the Coolangatta Sands with Coopers
Sunday, 8th November:
• This is a big day out for Kirra SurfStock Festival. Kicking off from 7am with the Denis Callinan Beach walk and Greenline SUP 7k race from Currumbin to Kirra beach. The ocean racers and beach walkers are asked to meet on the southside of Elephant Rock Vikings Surf Club, Currumbin. There will be ample parking opposite the Wildlife Sanctuary and shuttle buses will be provided plus trucks to return walkers and the paddlers back to Currumbin.
• North Kirra will be the venue of Beachcare dune session planting new trees and plants for regeneration.
• The new nature strip from Kirra Surf Club north to Kirra Park beach will host a diverse array of surf art and yummy food stalls as part of the Kirra SurfStock beach markets including a kids club with rides and amusements.
• Bond University will host beach volley ball with Sunday finals on the beach.
• Miss SurfStock quest with 10 models will parade wearing casual beachwear to swim wear from 11am and from midday the Live music takes off with Max Judo, Cupids Bullets, The Genes, Birdy and Quiet Excitement, Dan Hannaford and Dave Murray, Minus Equilibrium, Issac Paddon, Tokyo Beef, GAS, and Westerly Windina!
• The Post Party will be back at the Coolangatta Sands with Coopers and we’ll all need another year to recover for next year’s event!
This years Kirra SurfStock would not have been possible without the huge support from local Business, Council and many more. A big special thankyou to Connecting Southern Gold Coast for presenting the Festival in association with Kirra Surf and backed up by the following the Denis Callinan Gold Coast Traffic Offenders Program trust (GCTOP), Cr Robbins, Coolangatta Sands, Coopers, John Rankin, Fresh,Tayside plumbing, Kirramisu, Dune, Kirra Surf Café, Treasured Int., Caldwell Banker, Realway R/E, DJStringer, SEAFM, Southern Cross Ten, Tweed Border/Gold Coast Mail, Coastalwatch, SurfingWorld, GCSURF, Island Style Promotions, Mount Warning Spring Water, Bliss Hair Stylist, Extreme Signs, Greenline, KissnCousins, J.Hall Lawyers, Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary, Tim Bonython Volatile Films, Kulu, Gold Coast City Council, Border Park, Leisure.Com, SurfWorld Surf Museum, Surfrider Foundation, Kirra Surfriders Club, Kirra Point Inc., Kirra Surf Club, Solarx, Bond University Beach Volleyball, ClimateWave, Driftwood Timber Surf Company, Mark Anthony Hypnotist, Ecofund, Dan@OceanArtwork.com, thatcomputerguy.net.au, Absee Media, JR Surfboards, KFC, XS energy drink and the many volunteers including Southern Cross University Students. Mahalo and Aloha!
This will be an event to bring the whole family out from Groms to Grands and all those who love Kirra and our classic Gold Coast beaches and surf. Next year is already in the planning!
Standout Sessions: Crewsy, Macy Callaghan, Malia Manuel on the tear!
The Surfers Always Come out on Top
Standout Sessions: Crewsy, Macy Callaghan, Malia Manuel on the tear!
The Surfers Always Come out on Top
Asher Pacey, Nick Vasicek, Mitch Crews, Conner Coffin, wipeouts and more!
From the GWC2020: The Law's On Our Side
You gotta see this!
This Week In Surfing: Ten Things from Surfing & the Internet on the Week That Was February 21, 2020