Virtual Reality Surfing, John John's Masterpiece, & Claiming In The Surf Is Totally Okay – This Week In Surfing
Ten Things From Surfing and The Internet On The Week That Was October 30, 2015
Presented by Subway Surf Series
1. John John's View From A Blue Moon Gets Another Trailer
Don’t know if you’ve heard, but John John Florence has a movie coming out and it’s kinda sorta set to be a real landmark moment for us fans of surfing. Apart from surfing, and John John, which are factors that make this a must watch regardless, View From A Blue Moon just looks really really beautiful film. I mean, I might even try get my mum, who is a 64 year old inland Canadian with no interest in surfing, a ticket to see this and I think she’d love it. Onya Mum.
The film premieres at the classic old art deco building of Collaroy Cinema on Sydney’s Northern Beaches on November 11. It’s not yet known if Roy Mustaca will be performing or not… we can only hope. If you can’t make a premiere, it will be available to download December 1.
Want more of the most up-to-date Aussie surf-news? Follow us on Facebook:
2. The Moche Rip Curl Pro Portugal
Ugh, this event is still going? Sorry, I mean, this event is still going! Yeah! Wooh! I jest I jest, but with the arse-wooping that the Moche Rip Curl Pro Portugal has handed to near every World Title contender and every Australian except Joel Parkinson, consipiring with a difficult time-difference and junky Port Phillip Bay-wave style conditions, it hasn’t exactly been the most inspiring of events to watch. The features on the WSL homepage kind of reflect that feeling, with titles like: What You Missed From Portugal. Ahhh, but that’s surfing, and that’s okay. Not every event is going to be perfect. Here are four takeaways from the event so far:
1. The continued return to World Championship form of Gabriel Medina. With a win here, Medina could really stomp his way into legitimate World Title contention at Pipe. That’s pretty amazing considering how much of a sleeper he’s been this year, and the momentum he has flying into December has all the hallmarks of World Champions before him like Kelly and Mick.
2. Parko is back. Mr. Joel Parkinson has not had a good 2015. Currently sitting at 18th, he’s been sitting closer to the CT cut-off than certainly I can ever remember. Close enough for people to murmur that maybe he’ll be considering retirement this year. Joel Parkinson is a Rolls Royce of a surfer, and Rolls Royce surfers do not simultaneously requalify on the QS while doing the CT. Nope. No way. So, yeah, it could have happened, but with a fifth or better already locked away in this event he’s all but locked in his spot for 2016. You know what would be cool though? I’m not calling for Parko to hang the rashie up, no way, I want Mr. Parkinson surfing Bells and J-Bay and Pipe forever, buuuuuuut… if he does think about retirement, how nice a year would it be if he CJ Hobgooded it, if he called his retirement early and we had a whole year to celebrate and say goodbye to the extraordinary career of the man? That’s the way to do it. Just not yet.
3. The Portuguese wildcards. Frederico Morais and Vaso Ribeiro are smoking everyone. Fanning? Smoked. De Souza? Smoked. Respect.
4. Brett Simpson. What’s he doing in the quarters? Simpo hasn’t made a quarter final since 2011 but here he is, and he took down Kelly Slater to do it too. It’s about time luck turned his way.
SEE ALSO: Sean Doherty On Day 3
3. Yago Dora Will Be Brazil's First Big Freesurf Star
Anyone who has seen Volcom’s excellent 2015 film Psychic Migrations will tell you, Yago Dora is a star. The Brazilian goofy-footer has style and flair and is inspiring to watch. This week he dropped a new clip surfing long dreamy waves in Indonesia the past month. It’s primo! Expect plenty more of these in the next 12 months and a break out 2016 for Mr. Dora (Woah, did you also just realise he has the same last name as cult-surfing royalty?).
4. Mick Fanning Freesurfing In Portugal
Mick Fanning is such a comp focussed World Title machine that it’s pretty rare we get to see a pure free surf clip of the guy (that isn’t on the best day of the year at Kirra). Here he is during a lay-day of the Moche Rip Curl Pro finding waves, doing surfing, and being awesome.
5. The Quiksilver Team Test Wetsuits, Exert Power
Dane and Craig Anderson and Dane and Mikey Wright and Dane and Jeremy Flores and Dane and Matt Banting and Dane star in this high paced guitar shred of a wetsuit highlight clip. Power!
6. Necessary Weekly Asher Pacey Video
Asher Pacy delights us all once again with his butter-smooth surfing in the perfect waves of Indonesia for sure travel company TRVL. I hope you like slow motion and ambience.
7. The 90s Are Finally Here With CJ Hobgood Virtual Reality
All our 90s dreams are coming true with this next level shizness. WSL’s partnership with Samsung and the phone company’s launch of Virtual Reality technology has produced this incredible virtual reality clip. Starring CJ Hobgood and Teahupoo, and directed by Taylor Steele, you can scroll around as CJ and crew drive to the end of the road, ride a boat out to the famous break, and get pitted, so pitted. On a computer it feels just like the opening cut scenes to video games like Halo and Half Life… only you don’t get to “play”. But if you install the Youtube app on your device, and play this video on that, you can spin around in your kitchen and get really dizzy. I did it. Then I got motion sickness and needed to lie down with a window open. It's so great living in the future. Here's another thing about living in the future, this kind of technology is not inaccessable for the normal people, like you and I. If you want to make videos like this you can pre-order the epic little 360Fly camera for yourself now. Flight to Teahupoo is probably not included though.
8. Pick The Right Board For You This Summer
Summer is coming, and so are long fun days in grovelly surf with sunburn and all your friends. All you need is a board to really take advantage of the good times. To help you out with that is this board review summer guide video thanks to Creatures of Leisure and the CW board reviewer Tim Harrahan of Aloha Manly (who is so good on camera and at communicating all the info you need, btw. Seriousy, I feel like calling him up for any decision in my life... phone plans, Tinder conversations, anything, and you know he'd be there with just the right amount of helpful and supoortive information to guide you through the day/my life forever). Want more info? Check the full page and a long range summer forecast too.
9. Claims Claims Claims
As part of the WSL Dawn Patrol show, commentators Ronnie Blakey, Martin Potter, and Strider (who like Cher or Prince, needs no last name) had a nice little round-table on claiming. I’m into claiming. I don’t care how bad the wave is, how hamfisted the celebration, go for your life. Why not? But if you hate claiming, I’ve come up with some sayings you can yell at your tv/computer screen next time Jordy Smith gets a 9.
“Woah, check out Claim Edna over here.”
“Claim, set, match!”
“Pffft, who is his favourite band, Claim Impala?”
Get it? It’s like the band Tame Impala but it’s… cough… claim instead of… Sigh, I’m so alone.
10. Jamie O'Brien Pink Foamies The Wedge
Jamie O’Brien retains his title as King of The Ridiculous with this edit of him taking on "the dirty ol’ Wedge", as Bruce Brown called it, on a pink foamie for pink foamy board brand Catch Surf. Fun.
Bonus… The Subway Surf Series Round 2
The Subway Surf Series hit the Hunter Valley, Bar Beach to be specific, last weekend and spread the good vibes of a great grom contest series. Bodhi Leigh-Jones took out both the under 16 and 18 Girls divisions in fun beach break waves, which is super impressive. Morgan Cibilic won the user 16 boys and came second in the under 18 divisions. And Mikey Mcdonough won the under 18 boys div. Next weekend the Subway Surf Series hits Torquay.
And that was this week in surfing. Have a good weekend everyone.
Ten Things From Surfing & The Internet On The Week That Was May 18, 2018
WSL To Uluwatu! The Other Wave Pool Mega Flip, and Mikey Wright Does The Best Surfing You'll See This Week
This Week In Surfing: Ten Things From Surfing & The Internet On The Week That Was May 11, 2018
The Great WSL Wave Pool Experiment Starts Tomorrow, Tati Weston Webb Was Right To Join Brazil, & The Best Shippies Pit In Yonks!
This Week In Surfing: Ten Things From Surfing & The Internet On The Week That Was May 4, 2018
"An unacceptable risk for the health of the ocean..."
Wild adventure awaits!
Photos of big chunks of Indian Ocean on a Saturday morning.
Australia's 2018-19 budget could sting some of our favourite surfing legends.
Ten Things From Surfing & The Internet On The Week That Was May 18, 2018
The weekend is almost here. Get ready to rumble.
Early season in the Maldives has delivered plenty bowls
A rare, high period S groundswell is brewing for the Eastern Seaboard.